Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have been retired years now and have never received

I have been retired for two years now and have never received any self assessment documents during this time, I have now received first a letter for £100 to which I sent a letter back asking for details to which I have got no answer, then today I have got another letter for £258.40. I rang the general enquiries but they hung up on me saying all operators are busy. Could you please explain to me why I have this. Thank you
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question It maybe to do with your retirement if you were paid a lump sum OR of you had company benefits - or had more than one source of income or a host of other reasons, but you will need to get the self assessment return filled in and sent to them I can provide you with links for the paper return if you advsie the year they state is late (I am assuming 2015) and what sources of income you had for that year Then all you need to do is print them off and fill them in Thanks Sam