bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

As my landscaping company grows my wife is going to deal with

As my landscaping company grows my wife is going to deal with accounts and small amounts of advertising and marketing. She is disabled and claim benefits. If I lease a small car (through the business) for her use (both business and personal) and pay no monthly wage to her, can I claim the costs back? Will this affect her benefits?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You can certainly claim the lease costs of the car through the business. Just ensure that you keep a record of business and private mileage and only charge to the company that element of the leasing and running costs applicable to the business usage. The alternative is to have the private usage costs put through as a benefit in kind which in comparison is quite a palaver you can probably do without . I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how my wife's benefits will be affected?
Not if you take the 'charge the company only the business use of the car' route, then no benefit in kind kicks in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Thank you for your support.