bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My wife does not claim her personal allowance.As I still work

My wife does not claim her personal allowance.As I still work and pay income tax can I claim that allowance? I am 75,my wife is 63.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Spouses with unused personal allowances can transfer up to 10% (GBP 1060 15/16; 1100 16/17) to their partners. Full information including how to do it is available here: https://www.gov.uk/married-couples-allowance/overview Information is scanty as to whether an election in 15/16 will carry forward to 16/17 and subsequent tax years. My wife has transferred to me and I still have not received my 16/17 tax coding, the initial ones of which have been wrong these 19 years out of 20! I, personally don't hold out much hope, but we will see. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Thank you for your support.