How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15973
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have just received a sum of money from the sale of a property,

Resolved Question:

I have just received a sum of money from the sale of a property, how will I know if I will be liable for Capital Gains Tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf this was not your home that you sold then you will have tax to pay if you get more for the property then you paid for it. If you inherited then it is the value when you inherited that makes the determination.If it was a business asset you may have some relief form the tax.You should read this section in HMRC web site
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15973
Experience: International tax
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil Thanks for speaking with me and here is what we discussed The property was worth £180000 when you become 50% share owner and was sold for £215,000 This gives you an initial gain of £35000 from which you had the costs to renew the lease at £21300 and an estimated cost for legal and estate agent fees at £5000 - when deducted this left you with a gain of £8700 Eben without taking into account the 50% share for the period from your being added to the deeds and your partner passing away and then 100% share from her passing away to the date of sale, the gain is still less than £11,100 which the capital gain annual exemption allowance - so you have no capital gain liability arsing, and none to report to HMRC Shoudl you need a furtehr recalculation once the paperwork has arrived due to a change in the selling costs (estate agent and legal fees) then do let me know.However if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept) it would be very much appreciated Thanks Sam