TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I moved in with my partner a few years ago. He owns the property

Customer Question

I moved in with my partner a few years ago. He owns the property we currently live in, however, I still my previous property and rent it out. So we both own properties.
We plan to move this year, my partner will sell his property and we will buy a new one together. I will keep my flat and continue to rent it out.
It is not clear from the new stamp duty rules whether we will have to pay the additional 3% for the second property. The rules imply that because it will be my main residence I will not have to pay the extra stamp duty, but it is not clear.
Please can you advise.
Rachel
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou are correct, the new rules are not that clear but I believe you will need to pay the 3% based on the rule for joint ownership with someone else .If you are purchasing any properties jointly with other people and any of them already own one or more properties, you’ll need to pay the higher rates.As you will retain ownership of the original property the 3% would apply.