TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have worked in Connecticut, US 2 months in 2015,

Customer Question

I have worked in Connecticut, US for a 2 months in 2015, and would like to file for tax refunds for funds allocated. Can anyone tell me exactly what I must do?
Wages tips and other compensation totalled: $8128.86
Federal income tax withheld was $1457.96
Social security tax withheld was $503.99
Medicare tax withheld $117.87
(I can attach the payroll report for those two moths.)
Can anyone advise me exactly what to do?
Best,
Reut
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
HelloYou need to file a US form 1040NR if you were not a resident in the US. Residency would be if you hold a Green Card or you were in the US for the days that made you resident (generally 183 days unless you hold a VISA that exempts you).The Federal Income taxes are refundable but not the Social Security and Medicare.You most likely received a W2 form. That is used to prepare the 1040NR.Here is a link to the easier 1040NR-EZhttps://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nre.pdf You complete the top portion (name, address,.....)The wages from box 1 of the W2 are entered in line 3Follow the lines down (if you have nothing for a line skip it)Line 14 is most likely going to be the same as line 3Line 15 tax is $813 Line 17 sameThe withholding ($1458) is entered on line 18aLine 21 $1458You find the difference in 21 and 17 and that is your refund on line 22 and 23a
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
I need you to let me know how long you were in the US (not just working) and your VISA type
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
Checking to see if you responded
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Robin,
Thank you very much for your help.
I added my file. I think I did this right?
Thanks,
Reut
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
It looks correct to me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great. Thanks
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
You are most welcome.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience: International tax
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One last question,
What about the state of Connecticut income tax?
They didn't take anything, right?
Cheers
Reut
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
The state would have been a part year resident for you. You did not make enough to have to file in CT.You must file a Connecticut income tax return if your gross income for the taxable year exceeds:$14,500 and you are filing single;
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One last question, where do I send the form?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.
Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceAustin, TX ###-##-####SA
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.