bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a college student in UK (dual UK, USA citizenship). My

I am a college student in UK (dual UK, USA citizenship). My mother is Indian, and she want to send me some money from India via bank transfer to help with my college fees and living cost. do I have to pay taxes on the money remitted to my account in the UK?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The UK has no Gifts Tax regime so you receive your Mother's gifts free of UK taxation. If the sums are likely to be substantial you should warn your bank of the incoming funds and their source to preempt any money laundering inquiries a large transfer might attract. I do hope that I have cleared the air for you in this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother is planning to send me 20,000.0 GPB -- would that be okay -- no taxes?
It doesn't matter how much she sends you; there is no UK tax on gifts. Don't forget to warn off your bank. Thank your for your support.
And your generous bonus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.
Delighted to have been of assistance.