bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I need some advice on captial gains losses. I bought a house

I need some advice on captial gains losses. I bought a house for £165k in 2008 and now it is worth £130k, if I sell it how much tax (and what type of tax) can be offset against the loss?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Presumably this house is not your sole or main domestic residence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith
The house in question isn't my home. I currently rent it out as a buy to letMartin
Right Martin, if you sell it at a loss then you will make a capital loss which can be set against any other capital gains you make in the year of sale to reduce your gain to your Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.1K or, alternatively, the loss may be carried forward indefinitely to offset future capital gains.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is a capital gain in this context? Does that include income tax or dividends from a company I own?
No, it is Capital Gains Tax (CGT); a different tax regime from Income Tax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I cannot offset company dividends against the capital loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, save in the following exceptional circumstances [source: Chaddesdley Stanford]: 'You can offset capital losses arising on the disposal of shares you acquired by subscription in a qualifying trading company, or following a negligible value claim in respect of such shares (as covered in technical paper “Negligible Value Claims”). Shares acquired by subscription are shares issued directly to you from the company rather than purchased from another shareholder.'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that's fine I will just pay
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave.
Thank you for your support.