How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3814
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am an Australia citizen and my wife a US citizen. We

Resolved Question:

Hi,I am an Australia citizen and my wife a US citizen. We will be moving to the UK in three months and will be making JOINTLY 45,000-50,000 pounds a year.We are both coming to the UK on workers Visa.How much will be paying in Taxes and any other government Tax (Pensions, National Insurance) IN THE UK.Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Before I can address the nub of your query I need to know the approximate split of the 45 - 50K income you anticipate. In the UK husband and wife are entirely separate persons as far as income Tax (IT) and NI is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,Thanks for your reply. So just to confirm that for ALL tax purposes husband and wife are separte in the UK, even if we are on a workers visa.With regards ***** ***** question: we dont have final satistics but I assume it will be somewhere around 35 K for myself and 15-20 K for my wife. We have one child who is almost three.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is any other information neccesary you need please let me know.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this split has been in force for longer than I care to remember as far as IT is concerned. There are complications regarding husband and wife where Capital Gains Tax is concerned, a couple can only have one sole or main domestic residence between them, but that need not concern you at this stage. The visa type is irrelevant. If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year, 6 April to 5 April, then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. Your liability to IT will be 35K - 11K [personal allowance] = 24K @ 20% = 4.6K. Your wife's, say 20K - 11K = 9K @ 20% = 1.8K. NI rates are complex and depend upon the method of employment, employed or self employed and I need more detail before I can calculate these. You may be entitled to child tax credit also which you can claim from the Tax Credit Office in Preston. All the relevant rates of UK taxation can be found here: I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,Thanks for that.We will both be employed. What will be the IT? And approx how much is the child tax credit for a 3 year old girl?
What is a marriage allowance and what is a married woman's allowance?
What is the child element and the family element in the child tax credit section and would we be eligible for that?
Lastly what is the fuel benefit charge, would we be eligible for that?Thanks, ***** ***** that should be it.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
No marriage allowance, went in 1999! I told you the IT, 4.6K for you, 1.8 for your wife. You would appear eligible for child tax credit, 2780 pa, but you start to loose it progressively if your income rises above 16.105K; it replaced the IT child allowance so long ago I've forgotten! Winter fuel allowance is effectively only available if you were born before 1953, GBP 200 pa. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry I meant NI? Not IT.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
NI is complex; if you are employed you pay Class 1 NI, 12% on earnings GBP 155 - 827 and 2% above that income level. Under PAYE these are deducted automatically by your employer. If you are self employed you pay Class 2 & Class 4 contributions. Class 2 is GBP 2-80 per week above GBP 5965 pa income and Class 4 8% 9060 - 43000 pa and 2% thereafter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Sorry I really didnt understand that, if you would be able to simplify that in plain speak, how much NI would me and my wife be paying if self employed and me earning 35K and she is earning 20K.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
You will pay Class 2 GBP 146 plus Class 4 GBP 2045 = 2221 NI. Your wife will pay Class 2 GBP 146 plus Class $ GBP 875 = 2010 NI.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if we are both employed and NOT self employed, how much would we pay then?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
You 3234 her 1029.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,So just to summarize: (35 K Husband and 20K wife)
NI for me: 3,234 - For her: 1,029.
IT will be 4.6K for husband And for my wife 1.8K
Exemptions: 2,780 pa for Child
Total taxes: 10,663 GBP, pa.
Total taxes with exemptions: 7,883Are there any other taxes or exemptions that I should be aware of?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
There are no exemptions for children, but you do get tax credits for them, progressively reduced as income rises. Those are all the taxes you need to be concerned save for Council Tax [local taxation] on the accommodation in which you reside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK great. So there are no further exemptions or credit that I could claim for? I think/hope that this will be my final question:)
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Not that I can see.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well thank you very much for that.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your support.

Related Tax Questions