TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Is the sale of shares in a UK registered Limited Company by

Is the sale of shares in a UK registered Limited Company by a non-resident company or individual to non-resident individuals/non-resident company subject to UK capital gains
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. In most cases, such gains won't be taxable in the UK. Non-UK resident individuals will only pay CGT on such gains if they are classed as temporarily non-UK resident, the definition of which and how it is applied you can read here. Gains made by non-resident companies controlled by 5 or fewer individuals may be taxable in the UK if any of the individuals are temporarily non-UK resident when the gains occur and they return to the UK within 5 years of leaving the UK. In that case, the individual may be taxed on the gains or a proportion of them depending on their shareholding. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.