bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My brother and I jointly own a property that my father lives

My brother and I jointly own a property that my father lives in. I own a flat independently in London which I bought and lived in for 13 years. However, for the last three years I have let that flat out whilst I have been house sitting for someone else. I now am selling the property I let out and buying a new house to move into and live as my primary residence. However, I will still jointly own the property my father lives in. Will I be liable to pay stamp duty at the new higher rate?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Before I can address it properly have you elected which residence is to be entitled to Private Residence Relief (PRR), the jointly owned one or your flat?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My flat was always my primary residence although I had not lived in it for the last three years (I was in rented accommodation). I finally sold it last week. Now I am buying a new house which will be my private residence. We are paying 354k for it.
As the property you are purchasing is replacing your main domestic residence then the higher rate of Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) [3%] will not apply. This answer is correct for England and Wales; for Scotland more research will be necessary as the tax is one of those powers devolved.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. But can the flat I am selling be considered my main residence if it was let out for three years prior to sale? There is no doubt my new place will be my main residence.
So is the residence you are selling. HMRC would look at your shared residence and your old flat and on the facts declare your old flat your primary residence. Thus you are selling one primary residence and buying another so the surcharge will not apply. Please be so kind as to rate rate before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's great. Thanks!
Delighted to have been of assistance. Please don't forget my rating.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Of course. Just for the avoidance of doubt are you saying HMRC will be able to exercise discretion and common send when deciding whether a property was a main residence. I had understood that you had to have lived in a property in the last three years for it t be classed as s main residence. Your advice suggests they can take into account the fact that I lived there for 13 years before and am buying a new main residence, when deciding if I am entitled to relief or not. Thanks for confirming on this.
I am of that opinion, just check the exact dates and you may be under the wire anyway.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.