bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am originally from outside UK/EU and currently resident

Hi, I am originally from outside UK/EU and currently resident of UK on 30 months spouse visa basis. I am working from remote (via internet) from inside the UK for overseas company.My salary is going to that abroad country (taxed).
- Do I need to pay UK tax.
- If yes , how to report it, detailed procedure.
- How to transfer the money to the UK and under which category.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year (6 April - 5 April) then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. Providing the country in which you are being paid has a Double Taxation Treaty with the UK then any tax paid there is allowed as a tax credit against your UK liability. You report your income by means of a self assessment tax return after the conclusion of each tax year. In your position you may have to ask your local tax office for a form to get the ball rolling. The UK has no exchange control so moneys can be transferred through normal banking channels. Just advise your bank of incoming funds and their source if these are substantial to preclude any money laundering inquiries. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Keith,I still didn't get the "detailed procedure" on how to pay the tax :" You report your income by means of a self assessment tax return after the conclusion of each tax year. In your position you may have to ask your local tax office for a form to get the ball rolling."- Self assessment , employed or self employed ? any bank statements , support letter from employer required?.
- What is the name of the form, I can only see online applications available, SA1-UTR ...
- Does "conclusion of each tax year" means I won't pay monthly.Thanks again for your support Keith
HMRC will not know of your existence until you tell them, hence the requirement to advise them so you can be sent a form to complete. From you question you are employed. You make your return on SA100 and SA106 forms. As you do not have an UK employer you will not be able to pay tax or NI contributions monthly. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.