How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3827
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My partner is Dutch, and has moved over here. He does not work

Resolved Question:

My partner is Dutch, and has moved over here. He does not work as he receives a pension from Holland. He has to fill his own tax returns in Holland, and the tax man over there wants some proof he is not earning over here. He has not applied for a Nat no because we are not sure were we will be settling. Any ideas what form if any they are talking about. Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The form they say that needs a stamp is called personal income statement.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. This is a bit difficult. The Personal Income Statement is issued by HMRC to taxpayers who file their Annual Self Assessments on line and is produced on line. Your partner, as he has no income in the UK, does not file at all so that route is not open to him. But soft, if he spends more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year he is liable to UK taxation on his world wide income. There is a Double Taxation Convention between Holland and the UK which precludes the same income stream from being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as a tax credit against a liability in another. The Convention does not, however, protect the individual from differences in rates of taxation. Your partner can now file on line in the UK and in due course receive the relevant form. As a citizen of an EEA country he is entitled to the usual UK personal allowance to offset tax liabilities. He may need to apply for a NI number, but that is not a difficult procedure. I do hope that I have shown you a way forward in this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been informed that all he needs is a stamp and signature from our tax people to say that he has had no income in 2015 in the UK. We have the relevant form in both languages for the stamp to be put on. We just need to know how we go about getting the forms stamped, and signed by the UK tax authority. Many thanks
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Drop in to your local HMRC tax office. The address will be in the Phone Book. Unfortunately in England many of these local offices have been closed which is not the case here in Scotland. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions