bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I recently notified HMRC I had increased my pension contributions

Customer Question

I recently notified HMRC I had increased my pension contributions from £15 per week to £30 per week. My tax code was adjusted giving me an allowance of £1560 per year but the previous allowance was only £378 (and has been for several years).
Was this allowance too low and if so can I apply for a refund?. I have been unable to find any information on HMRC websites. Thanks Peter.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello Peter, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. To whom are you making these contributions, an insurance company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
B&CE
I am at a total loss to understand what you and HMRC are attempting to do. It is normal for pension contributions to be made net and the pension organisation then recovers the tax from HMRC. The 378 appears too low, it should be of the order of 780. You should take this up by writing a letter to your tax office.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Keith, thanks, you have been very helpful.
Delighted to have been of assistance. Thank you for your excellent support.