bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Mr A has been with his employer years. Mr A is on a

Mr A has been with his employer for 15 years.
Mr A is on a salary of £85k per annum.
Mr A is seeking voluntary redundancy.
Employer has offered Mr A a redundancy of £70k.
Please explain the tax implications for Mr A in relation to the redundancy pay of £70k?
Can Mr A do anything to reduce his tax liability on the redundancy pay?
Can Mr A benefit by putting some of the redundancy pau into his pension scheme?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Of the 70K redundancy payment the first 30K is tax free leaving 40K exposed to taxation at A's marginal rate, presumably 40%. A can reduce his Income Tax (IT) exposure by putting funds into a private pension scheme. Up to 40K can be so invested in the 16/17 tax year and if he has unused contribution levels he can go back three years to mop these up also. Remember that employer's contributions to pension funds count against the 40K limit also. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there difference on tax implications if the voluntary redundancy vs. compulsory redundancy?

The additional funds into the private pension scheme, to be tax exempt should it go directly from the employer, therefore, being inlcuded in tax computations as PAYE?

Just for my understanding, what is the tax laibility for the employer on the £70k redundancy payout?

Is there any other way to reduce IT?

No, redundancy moneys are treated in the same way. It does not matter in which way payments to a private pension fund are made providing that the various annual limits are not breached. In either case it will all come out in the wash as it were at the end of the tax year when you make your self assessment tax return. Frankly there are few if any methods of tax deduction apart from pension contributions available to an employee and even these are being squeezed by the current government as a matter of policy. There are professional subscriptions, but these are small beer in comparison.
Thank you for your support.