How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4191
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a retiring police officer and retire on 10th May 2016

Customer Question

I am a retiring police officer and retire on 10th May 2016 - I am then being re employed by the same police force in the same role (Intel Officer) but as a member of police staff. I will be 49yrs when I retire and will have served 31yrs service as a police officer. I am getting contradicting advice in relation to how long a break from employment I should have before I return to work to avoid Tax issues. Some say I should have at least a month break others say I do not need to as I am under 50yrs. I do intend to take a months break anyway but would like some clarification. Also does this month break take into account weekends and Bank Holidays in its calculations?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. There is no problem here and no break is necessary, but you may well have to be declaring up to three sources of income for a short time which will have to be separately noted on SA102s along with your SA100 when you self assess which will be inevitable at the end of this tax year. What you do have to be careful of though is what happens to your P45s to make sure that they smoothly transfer from your police pay to your police staff pay, but I suspect that your authority will be well abreast of the procedure as it may well be a common occurrence. I do hope my reply has been of assistance. Don't worry about any break of employment, it is not required. If you did have a break you could claim Job Seekers Allowance and that is yet another source of taxable income paid to you gross!