TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Do I genuinely have to pay UK income on my entire year's global

Customer Question

Do I genuinely have to pay UK income on my entire year's global self employment income when I was only in the country for 2 weeks? Every time I use a self assessment programme, it seems to say as much.
I spent 15 days in the UK in 2015-2016. 4 of those days were visiting an embassy, 11 were as a resident.
I'm domiciled in another country
I was not born in the UK
I was in the UK from 2011-2015
I was an idiot and kept my bank account in the UK this past year.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.
Hi. Can you tell me where you live and exactly when you left the UK please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I left the UK on the 16th of April, 2015.
I visited again on the 22 though 28th of January 2016.
I'm a US citizen living in Tirana, Albania.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that should say:
I visited again on the 25 though 28th of January 201
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2016....
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.
Hi. If you qualify for split year treatment for 2015/16, the tax year you left the UK, you will be treated as UK tax resident for 2015/16 but you will only be taxable in the UK on your income between 6 April 2015 and 16 April 2015. Income earned between 17 April 2015 and 5 April 2016 will not be taxable in the UK. Take a look here for a basic guide on split year treatment and here for a flowchart. There is more detail on split year treatment in section 5 here. If you don't qualify for split year treatment for 2015/16, then you will be taxable in the UK only on UK source income for the whole of the 2015/16 tax year as you will be treated as non-UK resident. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. The automated forms always say I'm eligible for split year, but then they ask for my annual income. Do I just ignore them and enter income just for the days I was there?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.
Can you tell me what the tax calculation looks like if you select split year treatment? Does it tax all your income for the whole year? If it does, then I would disclose only the income for the short period to the date that you left the UK in April 2015 and UK source income for the period starting the next day and ending on 5 April 2016.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It taxes everything.
IS UK source income limited to UK clients or does it include every time I used my UK bank account for when US and Canadian clients paid?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.
If you are self-employed, UK source income does not include income from your business clients. It means sources such as UK bank interest, UK dividends and rental income.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got it :) Thanks :)
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Done, 5 stars. You just saved me a few thousand.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.
That's good news.