taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I import child clothing, which is exempt from vat. But I am

I import child clothing, which is exempt from vat. But I am charged at the custom. I could get this money back. Can I register for vat just to get this money back and the money for services (i.e website costs).
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question..Please clarify for me..DO do sell only VAT exempt goods? Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i do sell the online, but at custom they charge me. So I am entitled to get the money back. can i register only to get this money back?
Thank you for your reply.Selling of young children's clothing and footwear is zero-rated for VAT purposes as outlined in VAT Notice 714 herehttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-714-zero-rating-young-childrens-clothing-and-footwear/vat-notice-714-zero-rating-young-childrens-clothing-and-footwear You can make register for VAT voluntarily if your turnover is less than £83,000. You would then be able to reclaim VAT on purchase of goods and services.More information on VAT registration is covered herehttps://www.gov.uk/vat-registration I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much for this, i knew everything about the threeshold limit and what should pay vat or not. I need just to be 100% sure that I can register only to get money back. At the moment I would need to register only to get money back for vat i should not pay and for the VAt I pay on services. Is it possible to register only to get the money back?
Thank you for your reply.You can register for VAT provided you are making taxable supplies (standard rated or zero-rated).You would be able to reclaim VAT input although you have no VAT output at present. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a limit on the input i can claim?
Thank you for your reply.There is no limit provided VAT paid on all expenditure is for business purposes. I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I am happy to rate you now
I thank you for accepting my answer. best wishes.
Your reward of a bonus is greatly appreciated.