TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am filling out my tax return online and I want to know

I am filling out my tax return online and I want to know under what heading i can put the following business expenses:
1 Education: online course costs, books, papers, computer, soft wear
2 physical well being costs: gym membership
3 mental well being: buddhist festival fees
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

You can only claim allowable expenses for the business costs. Your physical well being costs: gym membership and mental well being: buddhist festival fees are not costs that would be allowed.

Learning a new skill or qualification before you start up in business would be considered capital expenditure and not allowed.

If you are in a position to earn income before incurring any course costs it may be possible to argue that you are maintaining work-related training or continuing with professional development.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the online course costs, books, papers and computer are all related to the work i am being paid to do currently, so under what section of the online tax return can i put them?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Other allowable business expenses on line 19

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regarding the mental and physical health. My business is health care. Could it not be argued that for me to be effective in my business I need to be physically and mentally fit?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Everyone needs to be physically and mentally fit. Your need based on profession is not something I would argue with HMRC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i do that?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

I am telling you not to do that.

That is not something that is specifically required for your profession only and is really personal in nature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay. I did ask for a detailed response. Can you give me the reference you used to support your advice to put my education expenses under "other business expenses" in the business expense section of the online line tax return please?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 23 days ago.

You are most welcome