How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15915
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I live in Portugal but own various buy to let properties

Resolved Question:

Hi, I live in Portugal but own various buy to let properties in the UK. I have an agent who handles all the running of them for me. Once a year I go to the UK (London) to meet with the agents and inspect my properties. Can I claim the cost of my travel and accommodation as expenses? It is a strictly business trip as I have no family living in the area and it takes place in Winter so it is certainly not a holiday.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am registered for self assessment and I also am registered as a non resident landlord with HMRC.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Given that you live abroad, if it were me I would certainly claim for the cost of the flights and accommodation notwithstanding the fact that you have an agent working for you who is supposed to keep the landlord informed of problems. However, HMRC will take issue with what they consider to be excessive costs, ie first class flights and expensive hotels. They may also try to deny your claim if the agent carries out regular inspections and reports back to you. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I only travel business class and stay in good hotels ( Four Star) do you think it is worth trying to claim or do you think they will dismiss it?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
I would make the claim on a nothing ventured, nothing gained basis and point out in the white space that you have several properties which you prefer to inspect yourself annully. At least then you have been clear that you made the claim. If you are only saving 20% in tax, you might consider it not to be worth the possibility of HMRC querying the claim.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions