taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I used to have a Project Managment construction business for

i used to have a Project Managment construction business for a brief period after being made redundant during the recession. I managed to win a project with a client and through numerous meetings to discuss costs for putting his projects together we proceeded and I did advise him that costs were tight. I charged vat purely as a fall back to ensure that during and after the project all suncontractors and suppliers were paid including their invoices that included vat. I was not VAT registered, I left no debts on the project. I had to take on an employed job quite near the start of the project as there was nothing in it for me, the client was aware of me taking an employed job. 3 weeks ago he called to say that he had tried to reclaim the VAT paid, and the vat office said that i wasnt vat registered, therfore he cannot reclaim vat, but i did pay all the vat to subbies and suppliers, what do I need to do? Tony
My business no longer exists, and i did not trade afetr conclusion of this project in early 2013. I have been employment since.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question..Please advise if your business is still active?You can only charge VAT on your supplies if you are VAT registered.How much VAT was charged to the client?Did you file accounts covering income from the project and how was VAT reflected in those accounts? Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
company not active
wasnt vat registered
all in all £22,329 which was paid to the vat man via subcontractor and supplier payments
didnt file accounts because there was nothing in the bank account.. i ensured all suppliers and subcontractors were paid including vat..
do you have a contact number please
after this project had not long started on site i took a job with an employer as there was no money to be made and it was for a friend of a friend, therefore, didnt want to let both down by walking away
Thank you for your reply.. happy to have a phone chat
I thank you for accepting my answer. Best wishes