TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I was just wondering if I could get around paying company

Customer Question

I was just wondering if I could get around paying company car tax. I have been offered a car by the company I work for. But I don't want to pay company car tax as I will not use it for private use what so ever. I have a large family and need a 7 seater car, which the company don't provide a vehicle that size, so I have no use for it outside of work. Especially as my wife does not drive, so I always have use of my vehicle. I am not tight about the tax, its just it has drastic effects on my family tax credit for benefits in kind. I have phoned HMRC but they are having none of it. If its parked on my drive it has potential private use. I even mentioned to them according to their own guidelines, if the company state it is not to be used for private use, and they monitor that I don't. My company are happy with this and even suggested they will install a tracker to monitor me. HMRC still said no if its parked on my drive or near my house I have to pay company car tax. Is there anything I can do. To be honest I could grudgingly pay the company car tax, its just the effect it has on my family working tax credit. Is there anything I could do?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me why you are taking a company car if you don't want one please. What will you use it for exactly?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 7 months ago.

Whoever in HMRC told you there was no way out of being taxed on a car benefit was wrong. As you say, it contradicts HMRC's own guidelines. Take a look here, here and here for information on how you and your employer should go about escaping the car benefit. It's quite straightforward to get the paperwork right but you must avoid using the car for any private journey and that includes home to office and office to home. If the ban on using the car for private travel is enforceable, then it matters not that the car maybe parked at your home at night.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.