bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I owe the Inland revenue 13,000 they now want to levy a charge

Customer Question

I owe the Inland revenue 13,000 they now want to levy a charge against the house.my wife has an interest in the property 50% can they do this against her wishes
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. By the way the Inland Revenue ceased to exist some years ago on amalgamation with HM Customs and Excise, to form HMRC. HMRC are quite within their rights to put a charge on your property until the debt is settled. Many organisations, mainly lenders, do this to ensure that they do not loose their money in the event of the property being disposed of in any way. The charge will be complex and against your 50% only. It will also be registered in the Land Charges Register as a warning of a charge to prospective buyers. I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.