TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I paid £6,837.25 tax on a pension plan that I took out in Novemberas

I paid £6,837.25 tax on a pension plan that I took out in Novemberas I needed the money after my son was killed.i am on income and support allowance .do I get this money back automatically or do I have to fill in a form to reclaim it and if so what type of form is it
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. There are forms for reclaiming tax overpaid while the tax year in which you overpaid is still open but in your case the tax year ended on 5 April 2016. There are some notes on tax repayment claims here. HMRC should review your tax position automatically and repay any overpaid tax by issuing a P800 tax calculation followed by a cheque. However, if I were you, I'd call the tax office on the number here and ask them what form if any you need to complete. They may ask you to send them your P45 if you had one from the pension company or to complete a form R40 which you can find here. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.