How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4180
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Long running child tax credit problem Child tax credit office

Customer Question

Long running child tax credit problem
Child tax credit office claimed that some other person had submitted a claim for our son.
Which can only be a fraudulent claim.
Is there any way that DWP Child Credit Office can be forced to disclose details to use or the police.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, on of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The Tax Credit Office (TCO) is, unfortunately, one of the biggest basket cases in the whole HMRC emporium. Only the TCO would refuse your application for tax credits on the grounds that someone else had already claimed and then sit on their hands instead of instituting recovery proceedings for an obviously fraudulent claim. You should complain in writing to: ***** ***** and Customs - Tax Credit OfficePrestonPR1 4AT An explanation as to the complaints procedure is at a Gov UK web site you can find here: I would be inclined to go to your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau for help; they are probably well used to dealing with the TCO's shenanigans. It might be helpful if you raised this problem with your MP also. Just keep the pressure on the TCO. I regret that you are probably at the start of a very long process before you can obtain a satisfactory outcome. I had problems with the TCO many years ago and it was like talking to a brick wall. I won out in the end by sheer dogged perseverance. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This issue has been going two years approx.
Child credit stopped twice within twelve months,the first time payments with held for six months.
This second event co-insided with the end of the tax year.My Husband & I are living together, our son still lives with use today. We have recently obtain written convermation from the colleges of his enrollment and attendance of courses.I have allready paid £3,200 because they had put in in the hands of debt collecting agency. Only paid under harresment. to avoid court procedings being taken against use. They are still demanding a further £1,200.My husband & I believe that this claim of another person to be totally false. (Possible fraud by the department or person within}
Perhaps what I should have asked is this not a matter we should refer to the police )
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
In view of the line taken by the TCO a referral to the police would appear appropriate. However you may also need a solicitor to assist you in this matter especially if the TCO is threatening legal proceedings. Their approach is clearly harassment. .