bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am about to receive a deficiency grant from my late wifes pension and I have to pay tax

I am about to receive a deficiency grant from my late wifes pension and I have to pay tax on the full amount.( no tax taken off at source) what can I offset from this amount to reduce the tax implications
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear of your wife's demise. This is simply income in your hands. The only way in which income can be reduced for tax purposes is by paying into a private pension fund within the 40K annual limit. This 40K includes any contribution by your employer or those made elsewhere by you. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Thank you for your support.