How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3829
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I would like to get an expert answer. I'm a UK resident

Resolved Question:

I would like to get an expert answer. I'm a UK resident and currently moved to Thailand with my wife permanently but I have a freelance job with
a company in the UK. The job started 1 month after the moving and the job is to provide an online service which I work from my laptop in Thailand.
Every month I send them an invoice in my name and they pay the money into my UK bank account.
I would like to know whether I have to pay UK tax or not. If so could you provide more details please?
Please advise
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You may be interested to know that I have a Thai wife. First things first; when you moved to Thailand did you send a Form P85 to HMRC? If you did not you should do so immediately. Fortunately, there is no time limit as to the forms submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will class you as non resident for tax purposes. You will find dealing with HMRC much easier if you do the P85 procedure. Post the P85 procedure your freelance job will not be subject to UK taxation. It may, of course, be subject to Thai Income Tax. Here is comment from Expat Focus 'Those who live in Thailand for more than half the year are considered to be resident in the country for the purposes of tax. If you are resident then you are expected to pay taxes on all income that you earn worldwide. If you are not a resident and are in the country for less than 180 days each year then you are only expected to pay tax on the income that you get from within Thailand. Those who do not have a work permit are not exempt from paying taxes.' You can read the very informative article in full here: Thailand has a Double Taxation Treaty with the UK which precludes tax being levied in both jurisdictions on the same income stream. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as tax credit against the liability in the other. However, from the tenor of your question you will probably not have to invoke the Treaty's provisions. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
I see Just Answer has classified me as the customer! It has put it right now. One additional thing I should mention if you have recently moved to Thailand. On receipt of the P85 HMRC will classify you as non resident for the tax year following your date of departure. Furthermore, they will split the leaving year into two portions, one resident and the other non resident. The form provides for the refund of any overpaid UK taxation at the departure date.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your support.

Related Tax Questions