bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

There, I get a car allowance through work. I also claim

HI there, I get a car allowance through work. I also claim milage on the diesel I use to drive on business use. My company pays me 11p per mile. Is there anything I can claim back via self assessment ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Indeed there is; you can claim the difference between 45p per mile and 11p per mile as an expense in employment when you make your annual self assessment tax return. Better than a poke in the eye with the proverbial sharp stick. You will, of course, have to maintain comprehensive records of your motor mileage claims. I have even claimed it myself. It's at Box 18 on SA 102 and if you ask HMRC they will send you a booklet on the subject which explains everything. At 73 I've just chucked mine away so I cannot give you the reference, sorry. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith, thanks for the response. One last question, do you know if you can claim retrospectively too as I have been doing this now for 3 years ?
I would advise you to write to your tax office, explain the situation and put in a claim for the appropriate difference by amending your original returns. For exactly how to do it have a look at this comprehensive advice from FindLaw UK: http://findlaw.co.uk/law/tax/taxes/self_assessment_and_your_tax_return/40221.html Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your support.