taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My husband and I sold our jointly owned property in the uk

Customer Question

My husband and I sold our jointly owned property in the uk although we both now live outside the UK - we had the property let for 12 mths prior to selling it - do we have to declare it for Capital Gains Tax ?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.You may not have to pay any CGT but you are required to declare a gain from sale of your property.There have been changes to CGT rules for non-resident landlords with effect from 6 Apr 2015.More information on this can be found herehttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents-calculating-taxable-gain-or-lossand herehttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents-uk-residential-property I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the references - I didn't realise that we needed to make the declaration - having completed this I see that we can claim Private Residents Relief - but can we also claim relief for the period when the property was rented - 01/08/14 to 31/07/15.
And I take it that although we weren't living at the property between 01/08/15 and its sale date of 22/12/15 we don't fullfill the day test thing but how does the 18 months get considered then?
Thank you for your reply and for additional information.Provided the property was your main residence at some point during period of ownership, you would claim- private residence relief for all the period the property was your main residence- additional relief for final 18 months of ownership (this would cover the period 01/08/2015 to 22/12/2015)- letting relief for the period the property was let (cover period 01/08/2014 to 31/07/2015)The 18 months of ownership is overlap period between period let and last 5 months. Based on this, it appears all gain would be covered by aforementioned reliefs.When completing supplementary pages SA108 - capital gains summary show your gain and also show the whole amount as private residence relief giving zero chargeable gain (if the above reliefs apply fully) I hope this is helpful and answers your question.I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer.
Hi there, I hope I have addressed all points raised by you. If you are unclear on any aspect, please do come back.