How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3816
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am separated from my husband who lives abroad. He sends me

Resolved Question:

I am separated from my husband who lives abroad. He sends me maintenance for myself and an allowance for my son. Please could you advise me as I would like to know is either the maintenance paid to me or the allowance for my son taxable? I am not working. Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You do not have to pay tax on these payments. Have a look at this helpful advice: 'Tax on maintenance paymentsby FindLaw UK If you make or get maintenance payments and/or child maintenance payments after 6 April 2000 it won’t normally have any effect at all on the tax you pay. Only people born before 6 April 1935 who make these payments need to think about their tax position. If you are receiving payments The person who makes the payment normally pays you the full amount of maintenance that’s due to you. You won’t have to pay tax on it.' I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. My apologies for asking in more detail but I am still concerned that my maintenance may be taxable if it exceeds a specific amount (it is paid directly into my bank account) as it may be perceived as income? Should I also fill in a tax return declaring no taxable income or do I not need to do that as I am not employed. Many thanks.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Here is another extract from the same source: 'You’ll only need to fill in details of maintenance payments on your tax return if you or your ex spouse or former civil partner were born before 6 April 1935 and there’s a tax allowance for the payments.' If you have time and a wet towel to put around your head the whole informative article can be read here: Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks indeed I understand now the reference to the year of birth. I appreciate your help and I will rate your answer now.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Delighted to have been of assistance. Thank you for your support.

Related Tax Questions