Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

How many years can the inland revenue go back to with hold

Customer Question

how many years can the inland revenue go back to with hold my last and this years tax return
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Please be so kind as to expand on what you mean by 'with hold your last and this years tax return.' You should be aware that HMRC, the Inland Revenue ceased to exist some years ago on amalgamation with HM Customs and Excise, can go back indefinitely to recover unpaid tax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tax office kept the tax return from last year because of an issue from 2004/2005 i caim to england from australia 2002 and was initially on emergency national insurance number paying 30% tax this issue has only arisen since last year return i have never claimed in this country and worked both self employed and cards in i recified the issue they had because i failed to do a self assessment 2004/2005 and the amount is an acculation of interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how far back can they go back on my tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also i have always paid tax for many construction firms who took tax out of my wage
For which tax years have you made tax returns? HMRC can go back indefinitely to recover unpaid tax. If you worked self employed did you register with HMRC as such? You clearly have been subject to CIS, common in your industry. We really need to get down to two basics; were you self employed or employed under Pay as you earn (PAYE).