How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3829
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am researching father-in-law who has just been diagnosed

Resolved Question:

I am researching for my father-in-law who has just been diagnosed with mesothelioma aged 80. We are looking at his employment history, but he was a self-employed builder from the early 60s onwards and is now fully retired. I'm trying to find out if I need to do an employment history application to the HMRC, even if just to prove his self-employment, as it seems the records won't stretch back to the days when he was in employment (50s mainly). We can't be sure when he was exposed to asbestos, and I will be helping him claim under at least one scheme for industrial injury. We will need to work out whether he could have been exposed to asbestos while in employment of course, which we haven't done yet. So much time has elapsed that I'm not sure how to even go about searching for his former employers.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You may be in for a struggle as even HMRC weed files these days. My first reaction was to look here: You will see that a number of organisations will do these for him, however some will be on a 'no win, no fee' basis in which case a large chunk of compensation will be deducted. I cannot see how HMRC could be involved save in confirming periods of employment or self employment and as I cautioned you even that Department weeds files. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your excellent support.

Related Tax Questions