How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4972
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

If a Kenya resident, non UK taxpayer, owns property in UK and

Resolved Question:

If a Kenya resident, non UK taxpayer, owns property in UK and receives rent from that property which is to be remitted to Kenya, do withholding tax rules apply? If so whose is the responsibility to withhold the tax and how must that person account for the withheld tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question..Property income in the UK is subject to UK income tax.If you are filing a UK tax return and your tax affairs in the UK are up to date, then you can apply to HMRC for the rental income to be paid gross before deduction of tax and pay tax through filing self assessment tax return.Otherwise, your rent income would be subjected to tax deducted at source by your letting agent or the tenant. They will account for tax deduction and issue you a certificate at the end of tax year showing tax deducted.Get your rent with tax deducted at source is covered in HMRC guidance here I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions