taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

If a Kenya resident, non UK taxpayer, owns property in UK and

If a Kenya resident, non UK taxpayer, owns property in UK and receives rent from that property which is to be remitted to Kenya, do withholding tax rules apply? If so whose is the responsibility to withhold the tax and how must that person account for the withheld tax?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question..Property income in the UK is subject to UK income tax.If you are filing a UK tax return and your tax affairs in the UK are up to date, then you can apply to HMRC for the rental income to be paid gross before deduction of tax and pay tax through filing self assessment tax return.Otherwise, your rent income would be subjected to tax deducted at source by your letting agent or the tenant. They will account for tax deduction and issue you a certificate at the end of tax year showing tax deducted.Get your rent with tax deducted at source is covered in HMRC guidance herehttps://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.