How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15917
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I'm just in the middle of purchasing a buy to let flat

Resolved Question:

I'm just in the middle of purchasing a buy to let flat with my (unmarried) partner. I have invested money in the property with no mortgage but I do not want to take any monthly profits from it.
My question is, if the monthly payments get paid into my partners own bank account and he fills out a tax return, am I liable to declare or pay tax on any of the profits myself?
Also for info, I am currently in the 20% tax bracket and my partner is a full time carer claiming carers allowance, which we will stop once we complete on this property.
Thanking you in advance for your help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. The fact that the rental income may be paid into your partner's bank account does not make it his income for tax purposes. However, if you have both invested in the purchase, you can divide the income between you in whatever proportions you like and disclose it to HMRC as such. Take a look here for more information on this. I hope this helps but let m know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your quick response and the link.
Is there a minimum amount for my portion that I would have to disclose to HMRC? For example, could it be 0% for me and 100% for my partner or would it have to be at least 10-20%?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
It could be 0% and 100% if you wish.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information and your time.

Related Tax Questions