bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

As a Council Tax payer I have always assumed that our

As a Council Tax payer I have always assumed that our payments go toward the same things that the old 'rates' covered i.e. emergency services, refuse collection, street cleaning to name a few. So my legal question is 'would a council be breaking any laws if in addition to taking council tax they levied an addition charge on a specific wheelie bin'?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. No they would not; I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade. Here is an extract from The Telegraph covering additional charges: 'More than half of the councils in Britain have introduced a "stealth tax" on rubbish by forcing households to pay extra for new or additional wheelie bins' You can read the full article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/businessandecology/recycling/8594714/New-stealth-tax-on-wheelie-bins.html In my area we all have two bins, one for general waste and the other for re-cycling. We used to have a green bin for garden refuse, but these were withdrawn when the local council discovered that they had such collections were not their responsibility! Business users do have to pay for wheelie bins anyway.
Thank you for your support.