Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer,
Has your payday shifted (for example from month end to part way through the month - or from monthly to weekly - please advsie further
Thanks for your response
This is why the pay has changed - as in essence will receive this first months pay split over two pay dates - so your usual pay of 27th of the month then sees you having a total month and part month pay on 10th of May
This interferes with the allocation of the tax free personal allowances - as in essence you have could have been awarded two monthly allowances from your tax free pay - but as one and a bit payments fell into one pay period - this then also adjusts to bring you in line with your new pay date.
And yes they would have then perhaps had to award you month one tax or you would have had too many tax free allowances - and instead would owe HMRC tax.
The next payment due to you on 10 June will look normal -
I can only confirm if you can advise
1) The actual pay you get per hour (not sure f the £7.20 per hour relates to the other job)
2) How many hours did you do from 28th March to 10 May
3) The tax code used on the pay in March 2016 and the tax code used on 10 May 2016
I can then advise further
Thanks for your question
There lies the reason - the new "employer" failed to make use of the tax code 500T against your continuing pay with you.
You have two choices how to proceed -
1) Establish with this new TUPE'd owner - what their PAYE reference number is ***** then armed with your National insurance number phone HMRC to rectify your tax code giving them the new employer reference number (call them on 0300(###) ###-####between 8am and 8pm - call as soon after 8am or as close to 8pm as possible)
2) Ask your employer to complete a starter employee form for you (although they should have transferred your details over from the last employer details BUT as this first payment fell into a new tax year they clearly were being over cautious in using tax code 0T
Either way will see you getting a tax refund on the first pay day after the new tax code has been implemented against this pay.
Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance but it would be appreciated if you would rate me (or click accept) for the level of service I have provided.