bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

The tax man is claiming moneys from my wife and i pension

Customer Question

the tax man is claiming moneys from my wife and i for a pension that she does not have. they say she has two pensions. she only has a very small one of £165:00 per year plus an
old age pension of currently £69:42. her NI number is *****
please can i have an appointment to speak to one of your staff.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Just Answer is an independent taxation advice service and not connected with HMRC in any way. The solution to this problem is to write to the HMRC office which is claiming these moneys explaining the real situation regarding your wife's income and appealing against their demands. This should sort the matter out. In the same letter demand what income HMRC think your wife has and subsequently put them right. Many years ago a friend of my ex father in law had endless inquiries from the Inland Revenue as to his income. Eventually he told them he was not very good at guessing games and would they please come clean. That Department then told him that he had received a large chunk of income from my ex father in law. This was absolutely true, he had, but father in law had been the executor of an estate and this was a bequest which of course was tax free. The taxman invariably get hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all so just persevere until it is all sorted. Always keep your dealings with the taxman in writing so you have a hard copy of what has been discussed and avoid meetings like the plague. I do hope that I have shown you the way forward in this matter.