How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15946
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Im a self employed locum gp as well as a PAYE salaried gp, I

Customer Question

im a self employed locum gp as well as a PAYE salaried gp, I would like to do a course to maintain and update existing skills solely for my existing work as a gp and will not lead to further qualifications . The course only starts in 2016 sept and is ~ £5000. can I offset this fee in my 2015/16 tax return
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.


It is virtually impossible for an employee to claim a deduction against their income for the cost of a course as the expense is not being incurred "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" in the performance of their duties as an employee. If the employer pays the cost either directly or via a salary sacrifice by the employee, then the cost may not be assessable on the employee as a taxable benefit. Take a look here and here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me knwo if youi have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.


I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.