TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Im a self employed locum gp as well as a PAYE salaried gp, I

Customer Question

im a self employed locum gp as well as a PAYE salaried gp, I would like to do a course to maintain and update existing skills solely for my existing work as a gp and will not lead to further qualifications . The course only starts in 2016 sept and is ~ £5000. can I offset this fee in my 2015/16 tax return
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

It is virtually impossible for an employee to claim a deduction against their income for the cost of a course as the expense is not being incurred "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" in the performance of their duties as an employee. If the employer pays the cost either directly or via a salary sacrifice by the employee, then the cost may not be assessable on the employee as a taxable benefit. Take a look here and here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me knwo if youi have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.