TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I always complete my wifes and my tax return on line, and

Customer Question

I always complete my wifes and my tax return on line, and have had no problems. this year(for2015-16) I have completed the CGT section for the disposal of a property we owned 50% each. My return has no HMRC defined errors but my wifes has come up"ERROR the figures you have entered indicate that a relief has been claimed but you have answered no to the question 'are you making any claims or elections'" What should I do now, and why haven't I got ERROR for the same figures?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

Do you need to claim any reliefs at all in relation to the property disposal? If so which one(s)? Where and when exactly does the error show? Are you using the HMRC yellow worksheet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not claiming any reliefs. The error is in red print at the top of the page which includes the question "are you making any claims or elections" to which I answered No. I am using the online worksheet which is not yellow
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

Leave this with me while I go into my own tax account and see if I can re-create the error message?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, thanks
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

Can you tell me what figures you have entered into the worksheet please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Disposal proceeds=192224
Cost or market value=62500
Improvement costs=3464
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

When you completed the worksheet did you put a "0" into any of the other boxes? What does the worksheet give you as the gain or loss?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't put zeros in empty boxes. The gain =126260, which is correct. I put yes in the "are you making any claims or elections" and then used PRR from the drop down. That got rid of the ERROR message, and didn't change the gain, so the correct tax will be paid.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

That's odd. Given that the worksheet does the arithmetic, its pretty much impossible to make an error as suggested by the message you got. You said you didn't wish to claim any reliefs so I guess you must have selected yes and then no. Otherwise, I would expect another error as the system will be expecting you to put a figure in the reliefs and elections box.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's really odd, because my own tax return mirrors my wifes and yet I don't get the error message. I have left my wifes with YES and PPR, it may not technically be correct, but the tax bill is correct. Will that cause any problems?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

Apparently not. However, as there is a box for any relief you are claiming such as PPR, I would expect an error message if you don't put a figure in that box. Maybe a "0" or nothing in the box will be enough. If you change the answer to No, what happens? I realise you may wish not to tempt fate.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I change it back to NO, the error message reappears
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

I have to say, that's got me stumped. If the tax works out that makes it even more strange. If you look at the CG pages here, you will see that box 35 asks if you are making a claim or election. That box will have PPR in it and if you read the notes for box 35 HMRC will be expecting you to explain that entry in box 38. I'd tell them that unless you made a claim, you got an error message.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's what I thought, put PRR in, leave the claim or election blank, and put a suitable note the the box. I'll have to go. Let's leave it at that. If you think of anything else, send me an email, otherwise many thanks.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.