TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

T have lots of details at the moment, but maybe you can

Hi There
don't have lots of details at the moment, but maybe you can answer generally , my daughter is on the minimum wage working 20 hours a week, she is on the correct tax code, yet she is having tax deducted, do you not have to earn over a certain amount before you pay tax ?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

If a student earns more than £917 a month on average they pay tax. This ties in with the personal allowance. The employer will usually deduct Income Tax and National Insurance from their wages through Pay As You Earn (PAYE).

The standard Personal Allowance is £11,000, which is the amount of income you don’t have to pay tax on.

I can only assume her average pay is over the £917 a month.

If she earns more than £155 a week then National Insurance is withheld.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.