TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My query is I own a 2 homes, one is a family home and the

my query is I own a 2 homes, one is a family home and the other is a rental (that i dont make any money on). I wish to sell the family home and move into the rental property, do i pay capital gains tax on the family home?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Because of Private Residence Relief, Capital Gains Tax is avoided on most home sales.

You don’t pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) your home if all of the following apply:

• you have one home and you’ve lived in it as your main home for all the time you’ve owned it
  • you haven’t let part of it out - this doesn’t include having a single lodger
  • you haven’t used part of it for business only
  • the grounds, including all buildings, are less than 5,000 square metres (just over an acre) in total
  • you didn’t buy it just to make a gain

You don’t need to do anything. You’ll automatically get a tax relief called Private Residence Relief.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The family home has increased in value since we bought it 12 years ago, so we still wouldn't pay have to pay capital gains tax?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Even if it increased in value , the Private Residence Relief applies.