How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4198
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm . My bank has sent me a letter wanting confirmation

Customer Question

Hi Sam, I'm Ruth. My bank has sent me a letter wanting confirmation about where I am a tax resident. The thing is I spend most of the year in Egypt as a tourist and i come back to the uk 2 to 4 weeks a year. So, I am not sure how to deal with this as I haven't filled in any forms and probably need to. I am confused myself about what i need to ask you so this is probably not a clear question. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ruth, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Well from what you say you certainly not resident in the UK for tax purposes. However, data on the web is vague as to your status tax wise in Egypt. If you pay taxes in Egypt then you can respond to your bank. You must pay taxes somewhere so if you do not in Egypt then you could default to the UK for liability. If you have income in the UK which is not taxed at source then you must make a return although if the sum is low HMRC may well tell you not to bother after you have made your first return. The UK and Egypt have a Double Taxation Treaty which precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions by giving tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as a tax credit against any liability in the other.

I do hope that my reply has been of assistance. Please come back to me on this thread if you feel you need more guidance.