How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3825
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I wish to know if I am entitled to Council Tax reductions. I

Resolved Question:

I wish to know if I am entitled to Council Tax reductions. I am aged 86 and a special needs
son lives with me, I have been widowed for almost 4 years and am currently paying £100 per month
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Benjamin Franklin ones quipped that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes. Here is the Gov UK web site information on exemptions from council taxes:

'4. Discounts for disabled people

People who are severely mentally impaired, and live-in carers who aren’t family members, aren’t included when working out Council Tax.'

It is therefore possible that your special needs son should not be included in the council tax computation and that you should be receiving the 25% discount for single occupancy. If you are not receiving this discount you should claim it from your local council explaining your circumstances.

The full gamut of the advice can be found here:

I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your support.

Related Tax Questions