TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have been offered a position in Saudi Arabia on a 2 months

I have been offered a position in Saudi Arabia on a 2 months on 2 months off rotation working ashore and I was wondering if I will be liable for UK tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 months ago.

If you remain tax resident then yes, your will be taxed in the UK on your income. If you’re not UK resident, you won’t have to pay UK tax on your foreign income.

You would use Self Assessment to report and pay your foreign income.

Whether you’re UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).

You’re automatically resident if either:

• you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
  • your only home was in the UK - you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total - and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax year

With a rotation on and off, if you are returning to the UK in your off time then you remain resident.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
With travel days I will be out of the UK for more than 183 days in a tax year plus holidays abroad. Would I still be liable for UK tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 months ago.

If your only home is in the UK.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my only home would be in the UK as I would be living in a camp in Saudi Arabia.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 months ago.

Then you remain resident in the UK unfortunately.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks for clarifying this for me.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 months ago.

You are most welcome.

TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience: International tax