bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I completed my self assessment online last month, I have had

Customer Question

I completed my self assessment online last month, I have had the repayment issued and have received the payment in my bank,
I have now amended my return and I have slightly more credit available for repayment, HMRC have credited my online account with this, but the each time I request a repayment it goes on the "48 hours bit" then resets again after about 48 hours.... this is confusing the hell out of me, could you explain why its doing this please?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This appears to be a common problem with HMRC's IT system which they either do not know how to fix or actually do not wish so to do.

I would suggest the following two pronged approach:

Write a letter of formal complaint to HMRC with an envelope headed COMPLAINT CASE and put this in as a header of your letter also.

At the same time complain to your MP. HMRC react much faster to MP's inquiries that they do to individual's where a delay of 6 weeks in response is common.

I do hope that I have shown you a way forward with your problem.

Thank you for your support.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,I have also read up about the system has a 30 day hold from when the account was credited between requesting payments do you know anything about this? if so, my account wasn't credited until may 21st, so is it worth hanging on for 30 days from tthat period before writing a letter?regards

This problem with HMRC online systems has been the subject of repeated complaints. The standard HMRC response is that the refund has been sent for "security checks," but no-one will be able to tell you how long it will take to get through security checks as that department cannot apparently be contacted. The online system is effectively giving false information if the payment hasn't actually been sent out but it would appear nothing has been done to resolve that issue.

If you have cash-flow issues as a result of this it is worth raising this with HMRC. Sometimes this accelerates the payment. Personally I wouldn't bother, just initiate the complaint and the MP's routes immediately.