TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I hope that you can help I had made a GrowthBuilder

Hello I hope that you can help
I had made a GrowthBuilder investment with a bank ( non Isa ) based on Uk Equities
This investment matured recently.
My question is about the declaration of UK tax income on my tax return.
The bank no longer issue "certificates of deduction of income tax" so I don't know what to declare. This was an investment over 5 years, the initial amount was £25000 and the maturity value was £35000 . Can you help ?
Thank you Chris
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Was this a Barclays Growthbuilder plan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tony it was
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

According to the notes here, the profit is subject to Capital Gains Tax not Income Tax. I seem to recall having one or two of these or similar over the years and I always had to check or have the client check with the issuing bank.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tony . I will check witt Barclays .if capital gains do I simply declare the amount received between the initial/ matured figures ? Thank you
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

If you have previously invested in a Barclays Growthbuilder and income tax was deducted from the "profit" on maturity, I would check with the bank itself as to their undetrstanding of the tax treatment givne that tax is no longer deducted from interest. Tax would never be deducted from capital gains.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

You only need to declare capital gains if the gains for the tax year are in excess of the annual CGT exemption which is currently £11,100 or the disposal proceeds of all such capital transactions for the tax year are in excess of £44,400 (4 x the annual CGT exemption) regardless of the level of the gians overall.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

The capital gains pages can be found here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tony you have answered my question fully . I am grateful and thankful Chris
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.