bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

P11D - we have a handful of employees who pay internet as

P11D - we have a handful of employees who pay for broadband internet for home as they require it to be able to work from home. They claim the cost back from the company through a personal expense claim as they would for lunches etc. and the company reimburses the individuals accordingly. Should the broadband cost be declared on the individuals annual P11D as a Benefit in Kind.
And also I have the same question which relates to professional subscriptions fees. individuals pay them to professional bodies i.e. CIPD etc. and claim the cost back via their personal expenses.
Many Thanks ....
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As the broadband access is essential for them to be able to conduct the employer's business then the reimbursement of the cost does not need to be declared on the Form P11d. However, private use of the broadband should be declared, but as to the quantum we are getting into the realms of the old argument of how many angels can dance of the point of a needle!

The reclaim of professional fees, I myself have done this from an employer in the past for years, providing they are wholly and necessarily incurred to conduct the employer's business, are similarly allowable and are not a benefit in kind. This sort of reimbursement happens within the employment framework of many a large organisation. Were it classed as a benefit in kind the employee would merely declare it as an expense in employment on their self assessment tax return and the whole caper then an exercise in financilal futility.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Thank you for your support.

And your kind bonus.