taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I'm a self employed labourer working onsite and am paid

Hi, I'm a self employed labourer working onsite and am paid minus my CIS, all above board and all that. My boss wants me to work 15 miles away from my normal work place and is happy to foot the bill for me using my car to do a 30 mile round trip a day. I have to invoice him to get back my fuel, should I claim just fuel or 45p per mile and should he be taking 20% tax on the payment?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.

You can claim 45p per mile for use of your car for contractor work. This payment should not be subject to 20% tax on payment as it is not payment for labour.

You would reduce your motoring expenses by the amount of mileage claim reimbursed by the contractor.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

It appears I did not tick the box to say I am ready to be rated for the service provided.

I hope my answer is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, i don't understand what you mean by
"You would reduce your motoring expenses by the amount of mileage claim reimbursed by the contractor."

Thank you for your reply..

Any monies paid by contractor towards motoring costs is not turnover and would be credited against your motoring expenses within your accounts e.g

say your total motoring costs are £1,500 and the contractor has paid your £500 for your mileage claims.

You would report in your accounts/SA103S (1500-500) £1,000 as motoring expenses in box 12 car, van and travel expenses.

I hope this is helpful.

Hi there, just checking if you need further clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I had to check with HMRC, Self Assessment and call the CIS Help line to get the full answer to my question.I simply give him my fuel receipts and he pays me that amount. I can them claim back mileage at the end of the year when submitting my Tax return.I could do as you suggest but, no contractor would pay .45p per mile when they can pay just the fuel.