Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I was sent a tax bill but have not lived in the uk since

Customer Question

hello i was sent a tax bill but have not lived in the uk since 2003 and i am thinking it's because i set up a limited company in 2009 (which has been dormant i just wanted to save the name). what do i do??? i actually went to a tax accountant to check my residency status and to see if i was liable to pay tax and she said no. but i set up the company after and didn't tell the authorities when i was leaving the country in 2003.
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts on Just Answer.

Is the tax bill for you or for the company - ?

Can I ask why you set up the limited company?

When did you set it up and dis it ever trade

Did the accountant not alert HMRC for you that you had left the UK ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Sam, set up in 2009 (3 actually) but companies never traded. I set up to save company name.No, accountant did not inform HMRC, neither did I as I left in 2003, I didn't realise I had to.The bill was sent to my next door neighbour in my name, so I doubt it was for a company, unless it was addressed to me as a director? Therefore these letters were left unopened since 2009 and I got the shock of my life in forwarded mail. I lived at 57b previously but it was always addressed to 57. I called HMRC last time I was in the uk and I am now back in Ghana where I live and they never called me back. the bill was for over £6000 including penalties. I have no idea what they are even taxing!!!
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your question

As a director you would need to complete self assessment although if the company was always dormant then HMRC should have taken note from the Corporation Tax side of matters and noted that you did not need self assessment.

However if you never alerted HMRc that you had left the UK - then they had no way of knowing and all I can advsie is that you write to them and appeal the charges on the basis that

1) the companies never traded and

2) you had no other reason that you would have to be self assessment and

3) You left the UK and provide the date

They can then revise the position for you

Let me know if I can assist further

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Sam thanks I have the tax bill here, can you tell me what kind of bill it is by a reference number on the top? It does say self-assessment. I have a pdf but I guess I can't send it but maybe I can describe it.Then at least I know for sure I was sent the tax bill due to the companies being set up, as the bill starts from 2009, not from 2003 when I left the country, I was scared that I was being taxed on income!!Kind regards
Anita
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok sorry something is not right. The companies were actually set up in 2011, not 2009, so why would I have been sent tax bills from 2009?? Is this because they did not know I had left the country in 2003?
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

Hi Anita

Thanks for your response

Are you able to scan or copy and paste?

Its from 2009 as this is as far back as the computer will go rather than represent the time from when it necessarily relates to -

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi sam i have scanned it, let me see if i can copy and paste.....actually i am able to attach the bill here it is....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i didn't understand the part of your message about going back to 2009 though.....
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for scanning and attaching the bill

This is personal tax bill - as charged on you an individual - I cannot see where you get 2009 from as the charges are shown up to 2016 -

HMRC system can only detail 6 full years which takes you back to 2009 (as at 13 March 2016 then 6 full years was 2008/2009 (now 2009/2010) This does not mean they will not pursue for any earlier charges that might br due, just they cannot be shown die to the age of them.

I also note that the NON residency seems to be aware that you may not be UK resident as the demand from come the demand comes from Charities Savings and International and they have perhaps sent this the London address as this is all they have (unless you still own this property or how else did you get these demands if you are not and have not been UK resident ?)

But my advsie still stands - you should appeal BUT note that you were given to 05/04/2016 to appeal so this is down to HMRCs discretion

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i also have some tax advice in writing from my tax accountants (but that was back in 2011) confirming i was not liable for tax. so confused!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Sam, sorry I didn't understand your message, are you saying:1. Because it came from that branch of HMRC they KNOW I am non resident? I wondered about that......
2. That the tax bill could have gone back earlier than 2009, ok got that. i.e. maybe since 2003?
3. So what are they taxing me on? What kind of income could they possibly be taxing me on? I am so confused as I have not earned any money in the UK since 2003.Yes, my family own property that has been rented out, are they trying to make me liable? Is it because I did not send my self assessment form back in 2003 or inform them that I had left? I don't even know how they come up with that figure of £6k plus.
If they sent it to the wrong address how can I be liable?Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
to answer your question, i do not own property, but i stay in my parent's property whenever i am back in the uk on visits. thank you.....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ps i only got the fwded on mail after tenants moved out AFTER this year's deadline in april.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello last thing, since I am abroad and won't be back in the UK till mid August how can I appeal? Is there an online form? I already tried calling and spoke to someone who advised I would be called back by an expert in this area but then never got the call before I left again. So what do I do now? How do I communicate without waiting till August or do I just wait now?
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

HI

Thanks for your response

This is not income as it relates to penalties due to your failure to complete tax returns they have sent - (then they would see there has been no income)

If your family own the property then they would be liable on any rent they receive (as the income arises in the UK) but this is not being charged on you and if they do not receive any rental income then they will not be liable to tax on it!

You will need to appeal in a letter and as a matter of urgency - do not wait until Auguest as too much time has already passed.

Use the address on the letter and sent this as soon as possible