bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I still have a problem with the VAT Office! My company was

Hi - I still have a problem with the VAT Office !My company was VAT registered on 1/3/16. It received supplies from Poland from 31/12/15 to 28/2/16 with VAT charged of £5,500. My company paid the VAT to the Polish company and reclaimed the VAT on its first return made in May 16. The VAT office has deducted the amount from the claim stating that the supplies from Poland are subject to B2B reverse charge. I have identified that the place of supply is where performed -in Poland and therefore the VAT should be charged or accounted for by the Polish company. The VAT office is still saying that it was incorrect to claim the VAT. I am confused - are they right ?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that's fine
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

HMRC are incorrect. Yous should draw their attention to the Gov UK web site avice on the treatment of VAT on goods acquired from another EU country:

'If you’re registered for VAT in the UK and receive goods from other countries in the EU you’ll normally account for the VAT through your VAT return. You’ll need to account for the VAT at the same rate that you would have paid if you had bought them from a UK supplier. This VAT is known as acquisition tax and you can normally reclaim this if the acquisitions relate to VAT taxable supplies that you make.'

Were you selling to Poland then, of course, the reverse charge would ap[ply.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
KeithMany thanks - your reply is very helpful.Philip

Delighted to have been of assistance, Philip.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS

Thank you for your support.